Port Ellen 40 Years Old 1979 - 9 Rogue Casks
This silent Islay distillery has an untold story to tell the whiisky world.
It's the story of 9 Rogue casks that were all laid down in two warehouses in 1979, then lost in time until discovered by Port Ellen's master distiller (Dr Craig Wilson). After sampling, he discovered each had its own defining character, that played off each other. So he started trying various combinations, in the end creating this silent beauty from the past at cask strength.
Within those 9 casks, were 4 American Oak Hogsheads (Cask 1469, 1680, 1747 and 5176) and 5 European Oak Butts (Cask 4890, 4913, 4914, 6806 and 6816). From these 9 casks were created a total of 1380 bottles, that brings back this slumbering Distillery back to life in the 21st Century but retains the essence of its historic past.
Winning Bid: £ 4,650.00Reserve met
- Strength: 50.9%
- Bottle Size: 70 cl
- Distillery / Blender: Port Ellen
- Distillery Status: Closed / Silent
- Region: Islay
- Bottler: Official Bottling
- Bottle No: 0083
- Number Bottles Produced: 1380
- Cask No: 1469, 1680, 1747, 5176, 4890, 4913, 4914, 6806, 6816
- Batch No: CW12
- Cask Type: American Oak Hogsheads and European Oak Butts
- Lot Type: Full Size
- Approximate Shipping Weight (!): 7 kg